The modern city of Bochum was once a rural farming community.
A statue of the last cowherd, Fritz Kortebusch, commemorates this era.
He was employed by the council until the year 1877 to mind the cattle of
the townspeople. The finely crafted statue is located very near to the
Provostry Church of St. Peter and Paul, on the site of the old town